Skip to content

Yorkton Terriers swept in SJHL semi finals

Estevan moves on to league final
terr thurs 3
Terrier Nolan Wutzke spills past Estevan netminder Boston Bilous.

YORKTON - The Yorkton Terrier season is over. 

The Terriers went into Game 4 of their best-of-seven series with Estevan needing to win to extend the SJHL semi-final, but it was not to be. 

The Bruins who led the Viterra Division by 26 points over the Terriers at the end of the regular season swept the series defeating the Terriers 7-2 at the Westland Insurance Arena Thursday.  

Terrier head coach Mat Hehr said the game was not quite as lopsided as it might seem. 

“I thought we played well, and had our chances. I don’t know if our effort reflects a 7-2 score,” he said. 

And while the Terriers were down 6-0 headed to the third, Hehr said his players never quit. 

“They even found a way to score a goal in the last 30-seconds,” he said. “I’m proud of the guys.” 

Hehr said in his mind the series might well have been two games apiece instead of the Terriers being swept. 

“I thought we played well enough to win games two and three, we just couldn’t find a way to get that win,” he said. “We could be heading to Game 5 two-two. 

“I think we deserved a better fate than getting swept and losing (this one 7-2).” 

Estevan started the game hot, leading 3-0 before the 10-minute mark. 

Keagon Little scored only 3:20 in the start things for the Bruins, with Eric Pearce adding to the lead at 5:12 and Olivier Pouliot adding the third goal at 8:06. 

The Bruins would get a fourth goal, this one from Mikol Sartor at 16:24 to make it a 4-0 lead heading to the dressing rooms after 20-minutes. 

It was more of the same in the second period as a goal by Billy Sowa at 4:56 made it a 5-0 score. 

A powerplay marker by Aleksa Babic extended the lead to 6-0 at 15:41. 

The Terriers finally got on the board when Kishaun Gervais scored 11:07 into the third period. 

Erik Houk responded with the Bruins’ seventh goal at 12:30. 

The final goal of the Terrier season was scored by Colby Vranai at 19:38 to make it a 7-2 final. 

Kael DePape was in net to start the game for the Terriers, before being relieved by Tresor Wotton late in the second. The tandem faced 33-shots with DePape allowing five on 15 shots and Wotton two on 18. 

Boston Bilous guarded the twine for the Bruins to start stopping all 30-shots fired his way, before being relieved at the media break in the third period by Cam Hrdlicka. 

In spite of being swept, Hehr said the Terriers had a good season, considering the uncertainty at the start of the season. 

Heading into the season, coming out of the COVID shutdown, “we didn’t know what to expect from our roster.” 

Hehr said he had told his board it was likely to be a rebuild year, and a playoff spot would be a bonus. Through the year he focused on youth looking to 18 and 19-year-old players that could be back next season, but the team jelled, and a semi-final berth was a bonus. 

Already looking ahead to next season Hehr said he already expects a defensively sound squad with some talented young players already signed to come which has him thinking anything short of a return to the semi-finals would be a disappointment. 

The Bruins move on to the SJHL final against either Humboldt or Flin Flon who are matched in the other semi -final with the Bombers up two-games-to-none and heading to Games 3 and 4 in Flin Flon on the weekend.