UNITY - Unlike umpires, scorekeepers are not paid. It is a volunteer position, in most towns taken on by a parent or assistant coach, or perhaps shared by players on the bench in adult leagues.
This makes Mary Anne Gaetz’s 50-plus-years contribution to Unity’s ball teams even more remarkable and she has now been acknowledged as the 2021 recipient of the Baseball Sask Lifetime Achievement Award.
Gaetz joins 2021 Baseball Sask award winners:
- Cam Marshak of Humboldt - Minor Player of the Year;
- Ethan Murdoch of Swift Current - Player of the Year;
- Blair Beck of Carnduff - Coach of the Year;
- Logan Edwards of Prince Albert - Joe McDonald Special Award of Merit;
- Tyler Thomlinson of Grenfell - Grass Roots Coach of the Year;
- East Central 15U AAA Dodgers - Minor Team of the Year;
- Regina Trappers - Senior Team of the Year;
- Dean Dimmick of North Battleford - Builder of the Year,
- Warren Burrell of Yorkton - Umpire of the Year;
- Hudson Ford of North Battleford - Lou Slotsve Junior Umpire of the Year.
Awards were announced by Baseball Sask on Twitter and Facebook Dec. 23.
For the story of Mary Anne's Gaetz's history as a scorekeeper, see https://www.sasktoday.ca/north/unity-wilkie-press-herald/keeping-score-51-years-and-counting-4245742