Skip to content

Broncos split games with Hounds

The Humboldt Broncos split their two back-to-back games against the Notre Dame Hounds last week.
Humboldt Bronco Kameron Ballas (right) manages to keep control of the puck despite the interference from Richard Cameron of the Notre Dame Hounds during their game January 19. The Broncos played the Hounds twice last week, winning the second and losing the first.

The Humboldt Broncos split their two back-to-back games against the Notre Dame Hounds last week.
The Hounds were in Humboldt for a make-up game on January 18 - originally to be held December 14, it was cancelled due to weather - and on January 19 for another league game.
The first game didn't go so well for Humboldt. Off to a late start due to a lack of officials at the regular start time, the Broncos let Notre score once in the first period.
The Hounds then added to their lead on a power play at 7:56 of the second. James Howden got the point on Broncos goaltender Andrew Bodnarchuk.
Down 2-0, the Broncos scored their first goal of the game at 18:28 of the second. Jake Rawlins got the point, assisted by Nathan Hudema and Taylor Johnson.
But that was both the first and last goal for the Broncos in the game.
Notre Dame added one more goal to their total - scored on the power play at 9:34 of the third - before the game ended.
Final score: 3-1 Hounds.
A number of penalties were recorded throughout the game. Chase Wharton of the Broncos got two minutes for cross checking at the end of the first, and his teammates were boxed for roughing, tripping, hooking, high sticking and unsportsmanlike conduct throughout the rest of the game.
For the Hounds, they earned high sticking, tripping, holding, roughing and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.
The Hounds were two for seven on the power play in the contest, while the Broncos were zero for four.
Just one Bronco - Jake Rawlins - was named among the three stars of the game.
But it was a different story the next night when the two teams met again.
The Broncos refused to let the Hounds take any sort of lead in the game.
It was Humboldt who scored first, at 14:16 of the first period. Greg Ferguson got the point, assisted by Ward Szucki.
The Broncos then held off the Hounds for most of the second and third periods, refusing to let them score, even when they had a man advantage.
The Hounds did finally manage to get the puck past Bronco goaltender Matt Hrynkiw at 17:01 of the third period. Patrick Thompson-Gale got the point, assisted by Richard Cameron and James Howden.
Regulation time ended with the score still tied at one, as did a five-minute overtime period.
The game went into a shoot-out. Humboldt's Ferguson took the first shot and scored. Though neither of his teammates involved in the shoot-out - Josh Roach and Matt Glowa - were able to do likewise, as none of the three Hounds chosen for the shoot-out were able to score, that single goal gave Humboldt the winning point.
Penalties in the game were sparse when compared to the previous night. The Broncos recorded just six in all three periods, and the Hounds had just four.
All three stars of the game were Humboldt Broncos - goalie Hrynkiw, Ferguson and Roach.

push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks