Skip to content

North Stars get the job done in rematch with Weyburn

4-1 win for North Stars follows a 3-0 shutout of Weyburn the previous night
North Stars Weyburn Feb 23
Action from period one between the North Stars and Red Wings Wednesday.

NORTH BATTLEFORD - It was a fast turnaround for the Battlefords North Stars and Weyburn Red Wings after their game Tuesday night.

Less than 24 hours after the North Stars won 3-0, the two teams tangled again at the Access Communications Centre. For the Red Wings it was a similar night to the previous one, with the North Stars again in complete control as they won 4-1 to sweep both games.

The line of Steven Kesslering and Dylan Esau had the most impact on the night, right from the opening goal.

In a shorthanded situation, the North Stars took the lead in the first period. With Matthew Henry in the box for cross checking, at the 9:40 mark Kesslering scored his 20th of the season with Esau assisting to make it 1-0.

Late in the period it was a power play goal that added to the lead. Sam Witt scored his fifth from Esau and Keiton Klein at the 19:26 mark, and it was 2-0 through one. Shots favoured the North Stars 15-9 in that period.

There was no scoring in the second period, but in the third the Red Wings were finally able to get on the board on a power play goal. With Easton Rask in the box for cross checking, Kirk Mullen got the Red Wings on the board at the 6:29 mark, with Blake Norris and Matthew Reidy awarded the assists.

But late in the period, Esau scored from Kesslering to restore the two-goal cushion with 6:28 remaining, making it 3-1.

Tanner Gold then made it 4-1 with Witt and Esau assisting with 3:54 left. For Esau, it wrapped up what was a goal-and-three-assist-night, while Kesslering had a goal and two assists.

It was the North Stars fifth win in six games. Final shots favoured the North Stars 35-25 with Lowen Kenyon getting the win, while Dazza Mitchell took the loss.

The North Stars are home again Saturday night against Humboldt, while the Red Wings host Yorkton that same night.