Skip to content

Decision on whether Afrah Ali to stand trial for murder adjourned

Ali was arrested by U.S. authorities following a 122-kilometre police chase with speeds up to 209 kilometres per hour. He was brought back to Saskatoon in July 2021 to face a murder charge.
In July 2021 Afrah Ali was brought back to Saskatoon from the United States. The United States Border Patrol arrested Ali on Jan. 23, 2021, when he was allegedly trying to enter their country illegally.

SASKATOON – A decision on whether a man will stand trial on a murder charge after he allegedly tried fleeing to the U. S. is expected to be made in October.

A preliminary hearing for 34-year-old Afrah Ali concluded on Sept. 14 and the matter was adjourned for a decision.

In August 2020, police issued a Canada-wide warrant for Ali’s arrest. Months later, Ali was arrested by the U.S. Border Patrol in Montana when police say he attempted to cross into the U.S. Ali was brought back to Saskatoon in July 2021. 

According to U.S. Department of Justice, Afrah Ahmed Abdi, of Virginia, was identified as Afrah Ali by fingerprints.

The U.S. Department of Justice alleges that on Jan. 23, 2021, the Spokane Border Patrol responded to the West Kootenai area near Eureka for a report that three persons with backpacks and wearing dark clothing were entering the U. S. illegally. Agents located the vehicle that picked up the men and attempted a traffic stop of a southbound Nissan Sentra. The Nissan initially yielded but sped away as agents approached on foot. The Nissan led law enforcement agencies on a 76-mile [122 kilometre] chase with speeds up to 130 mph [209 km/hr]. Law enforcement used spike belts to stop the car one mile north of Whitefish.

U.S. officials sayall three men were wanted by various Canadian law enforcement agencies.

Ali’s preliminary hearing ran for two days in April, three days in July and closing arguments were heard on Sept. 14.  The details of what is said during preliminary hearings can’t be published.

Ali is charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of Logan Nayneecassum at a now closed pub/restaurant on Slimmon Road in Saskatoon.

According to police, they were called to the pub at about 3 a.m. on Aug. 21, 2020, for a report of an injured man. When first responders arrived they found Nayneecassum suffering from a gunshot wound. He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced deceased.

The charge against Ali hasn’t been tested in court.

Click for more from Crime, Cops and Court. 


[email protected]