The Sturgis Community Hall and Sturgis Station House Museum committees teamed up to bring back a taste of the past.
The Bringing Back the Past fundraiser featured a variety of events, all geared towards reminiscing and making new memories at the Sturgis Community Hall on June 20.
The fun day kicked off with organizers dressing up in 1950s apparel, followed by a hamburger-and-hotdog lunch, all served in baskets. Popcorn and milkshakes were a huge hit with the younger generation and the numerous varieties of pies were enjoyed by all.
Children’s games were held at the Museum and at the Hall and featured a hula hoop competition. For the reptile show, Elisa Wilkie of Colonsy brought many of her reptile friends. She
brought four snakes: a Houndrew snake, a corn snake, a peublan snake and a bull snake. She also brought a black-and-white tegu, a red tegu, a bearded dragon lizard, an eyelash crested
gecko, three tortoises, a solcata, and a red foot and a rose hair tarantula. People of all ages enjoyed the show and learned many facts about each of the creatures.
A show-and-shine featured 33 entries, including a variety of cars and trucks from the local area and from as far away as Swan River. Lyle Baron of Sturgis won the work-in-progress rat
rod category for his 1948 Dodge. Bob Bartch of Sturgis won the pre-1950s car/truck category for his 1949 Rover. The voters’ choice award went to Dustin Heddon of Yorkton for his 1967 Plymouth wagon. The award for the best 1950s vehicle went to Ken Emberton of Ituna for his 1959 Edsel.
The 1959 Edsel Ranger entered by Ken Emberton of Ituna was all decked out, including the old time A&W Drive In tray. From left, were: Dillion Serdachny, Bracyn Konkel, Brainna Heddon, Darrian Serdachny, Keltyn Konkel and Brett Konkel. and Brenda Penny of Regina for their 1950 Dodge.
The award for the best post 1950s car/truck was won by Darwin Williamson of Swan River for his 1962 T-Bird. Other entries included: a 1963 Covette owned by Glen Sterzer of Kamsack,
a 1969 El Can owned by Phil Murrin of Preeceville, a 1986 Chev half-ton truck owned by Nathan Darper of Preeceville, a 1930 Model A and a1952 Ford threequarter ton truck entered by Shawn Cote of Pelly, a 1967 Cadillac entered by Thelma Boen of Sturgis, a 1968 LeMolyne entered by Ernie Tretiak of Yorkton, a 1964 Impala owned by Tom Cursin of Yorkton, a 1966
Dodge Monaco entered by Graham Orr of Manitoba, a 1974 Cude entered by Dwayne Stankewich of Manitoba, a 1954 Ford Custom Line entered by Cliff Kooistra of Manitoba, a 1966 Windsor entered by Ron Haslbeck of Yorkton, a 1966 Dodge entered by Carl Steciuk of Yorkton, a 1960 T-bird entered by Evelyn Keyowski of Canora, a T-bird owned by Eugene Keyowski of Canora, a 1980 Firebird entered by Zanthany Olson of Sturgis, a 1972 Chevelle entered by Dave Kobelka of Eston, a 2000 Mustang entered by Scott Sushinsky of Yorkton, a 1981 Corvette entered by Joe Chubak of Canora, a 2010 Cobalt SS Turbo entered by Ken Knutson of Sturgis, a 1982 Camaro and a 1986 Monte Carlo entered by Kennedy and Kelsey Kosheluk of Preeceville, a 1965 Chevelle entered by
Skip Beatty of Sturgis, a 1973 Corvette entered by Terry Heddon of Yorkton, a 1968 GS Buick entered by Merv Weinmeister of Yorkton, and a 1980 Camaro entered by Ken McKay of
Canora. Michael Andrusko, an organizer, had a 1955 Fargo, a 1966 Ambassador, a 1980 Corvette, a 1971 Custom 10 Chev and a 1966 Rambler on display.
The evening concluded with a supper and dance with music provided by The Capitals. There were prizes for the best 1950s male and female attire, for best 1950s hair, for best 1950s dancing
and for best children’s costume. There was also a raffle for a “fridge full of turkeys.”