Skip to content

Suspect and police injured falling down stairs

The suspect is facing two counts each of assault, forcible confinement, assaulting a peace officer and disarming a peace officer.
fall down stairs
As two officers attempted to restrain a suspect, all three fell down the stairs and were taken to hospital.

SASKATOON — A 57-year-old Saskatoon man is recovering from serious injuries and facing a number of charges after he and two police officers fell down the stairs of an apartment building.

The charges including assaulting a peace officer following an incident that occurred in the 500-block 20th Street West over the weekend.

Just before 1 a.m., May 14, police were called to an altercation at the building. Two people, ages 22 and 24, reported that as they were leaving an apartment suite, a male resident of another suite began harassing and physically assaulting them. He is reported to have then locked the exit door, forcing the victims to flee to a nearby suite.

Officers arrived on the scene and were taking witness statements when the male suspect approached them and began shouting at officers.

Saskatoon Police Service say in a release issued Monday that as officers stood in a narrow stairway attempting to de-escalate the incident, the male became more aggressive and began punching one of the officers. As both officers attempted to restrain the man, all three fell down the stairs, states the release.

As the struggle continued at the bottom, the releases continues, the male suspect began pulling at the duty belt one of one the officers, pulling equipment from the belt, and breaking the belt in the process.

When the officers were able to bring the man under control and into custody, all three were transported to hospital for assessment of their injuries. As of Monday, the male suspect remains in hospital with serious injuries. The two officers are recovering from minor injuries.

The suspect is now facing two counts of assault, two counts of forcible confinement, two counts of assaulting a peace officer and two counts of disarming a peace officer.

He will appear in Saskatoon Provincial Court upon release from hospital.