YORKTON - A Faldo Hurricane Series Qualifier Golf Tournament was held at Deer Park Municipal Golf Course over the weekend.
The event attracted 22 golfers ages U15 to U19 from across Saskatchewan for three rounds of golf Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
According to the Canadian Junior Golf Association, “launched in 2021, the Faldo Hurricane Series is the largest and most impactful global junior golf partnership of its kind. This new series is a collaboration between Sir Nick Faldo’s, Faldo Series, and the Hurricane Junior Golf Tour, designed to showcase the top juniors in a competitive series that starts at a local level with 20 Sectional Qualifiers, then move to five Regional Invitationals, culminating with the Faldo Hurricane Series North America Grand Final where qualifiers will battle it out to be crowned overall champion.”
Players play in the Faldo Hurricane Series Qualifier that is designated to their province. Top finishers will be invited to the regional qualifier that will take place at Woodington Lake Golf Club in Tottenham, Ontario Sept. 10 and 11.
The top finisher in each division at the regional qualifier will be awarded a spot in the Faldo Hurricane Series Grand Final at Innisbrook Golf Resort, in Palm Harbour, Florida Oct. 10 and 11.
In Yorkton the top finishers were:
- Amateur women Symone Ripley of Saskatoon was first with 256 over three rounds.
- Junior women Yorkton’s Ella Kozak finished first with a 232 over three rounds.
- The Bantam girls’ division was topped by Niya Friesen of Swift Current with a three-day total of 278.
- Chase Pochylko of Saskatoon finished first in the field with a 217 over three days.
- Dane Giesbrecht of Warman, Sask. was the top boy’s Bantam golfer with a 230.