50 years ago
Unity New Horizons group were fundraising for money to buy a lot. They had already purchased a building to move into town once a lot was secured.
Marcel DeRoo built a cairn out of local field stones to mark the former site of Ruth School, which was built in 1918 and destroyed in a fire in 1964.
Local nurses graduating from the diploma program of the Saskatchewan Institute of Applied Arts and Sciences included Donelda Kinsely of Leipzig, and Jean Jansen, Jean Weber and Pamela Eremko of Wilkie.
The Unity Band Parents’ Association was created, at the urging of band leader Mrs. Maureen Robertson.
20 years ago
The COP (Citizens on Patrol) program was launched in Wilkie, with a dozen people signing up to participate. Former Unity COP president Allan Krupka came to Wilkie to give a presentation on the program.
Unity’s new council held their first meeting. Attending were councillors Richard Briggs, Maynard Slater, Don Robertson, Eileen Sword and Bryan Hammer, along with Mayor Kathryn Johnson and Administrator Jim Weninger.
Unity schools, Lions and Girl Guides collected 1,001 coats, sweaters, mittens and blankets along with 474 books for the SaskEnergy’s Share the Warmth program. The Unity Girl Guides did the sorting and folding.
Moody’s Equipment in Unity received the 2003 President’s Prestige Award from New Holland North America.