There will be no more fireworks on Canada Day at Battlefords Provincial Park.
In correspondence to North Battleford Mayor Ian Hamilton dated October 1, the City was informed by Park Supervisor Jackie Starling that Canada Day festivities will go on in the future without the fireworks, with Starling citing concerns about enforcement and safety as reasons for the cancellation.
"In past Canada Day celebrations, we have noticed events that have brought concern to our staff and park visitors," said Starling in her letter.
"It is our responsibility to ensure the safety of our staff and the public who visit our park, and we are unable to do this in events that go into the dark of the night without an increase in enforcement staff. We are therefore refocusing our efforts on family activities that will be planned for the day to celebrate Canada's birthday."
The fireworks display had been a traditional and popular part of the Canada Day activities at Battlefords Provincial Park for some time. Councillor Trent Houk expressed disappointment the fireworks would be ending, saying he remembers for many years going up to the provincial park, as a child, to watch the fireworks.
He asked if the City of North Battleford hosts any fireworks for Canada Day and Parks and Recreation Director Stuart York said the city has not.
Mayor Ian Hamilton said the issue of whether the city chooses to undertake the responsibility of Canada Day fireworks will have to be looked at. There is federal funding available for communities wishing to hold Canada Day events and application deadlines that must be met.
The correspondence came at North Battleford's regular council meeting on Monday.