A self extinguishing fire had North Battleford Fire and Emergency Services responding to an alarm at Riganato's Steak and Rib House early Saturday morning.
The fire, which broke out in a janitor's room housing a water heater, was out by the time firefighters arrived at 302 - 114th Street just after 2 a.m.
The fire, which caused damage to the inside of the room and the doorway, also melted the main water supply to the water heater. The resulting leak doused the flames, according to a press release from NBFES
Firefighters say a small cardboard box containing cleaning staff shoes and clothing was placed near the hot water heater, igniting the box and its contents.
The fire was no longer burning when firefighters arrived, but they did need to work quickly to minimize water damage by isolating the water supply to the hot water tank. Water vacs were used to clean up the spill, which caused minor damage to neighbouring businesses on both sides.
SaskPower was also called in to cut the power supply to the business until repairs could be made.