REGINA - Week one may be winding down for Team Sask at the 2022 Canada Summer Games, but the intensity is increasing.
Team Sask’s women's basketball team won a triumphant semi-final game against Quebec, 61-57. They will move forward to the gold medal game today (August 13) at 5:30pm EST against either Alberta or Ontario at the Meridian Centre.
Baseball will play in the bronze medal game against BC today (August 13) at 3pm EST at the Welland Baseball Stadium.
TEAM SASK SPOTLIGHT:
- Nata Kolesova made a valiant effort to ensure Team Sask would be in medal contention in the triathlon mixed team relay mix. Each team consisted of two women and two men, who each completed a swim, bike and run before tagging the next athlete. Kaelen Kolb, Molly Lakustiak and Henry Bristol each had strong races. Team Sask crossed the line in fourth with a time of 1:42:12.
- The women’s basketball team know how to bring the crowd to their feet. They led after the first quarter 20-14. Team Sask was up at the half 38-33. Team QC answered the call in the third quarter taking over the lead 48-43. It was down to the wire when Ajok Deng Madol made both free throws with 12 seconds remaining. Megan Weisgerber sealed the deal scoring another two at the free throw line. Final score 61-57. Team Sask plays in the gold medal match against AB or ON.
PREVIOUS DAY HIGHLIGHTS:
- BASEBALL (M): After a day off, Team Sask was back on the field playing in the semifinals against Team ON. They suffered a tough loss (22-4) in just five inninigs of play but will be back (August 13) in the bronze medal game.
- BASKETBALL: Despite losing to QC 115-78, men’s basketball has one more game before the end of week one. They will play for seventh place (August 13). Team Sask is going for gold. They out scored Team QC 61-57 to move on to tomorrows final. They will play the winner of the other semifinal game, Team ON or Team AB.
- BEACH VOLLEYBALL: The men fell two sets to Team MB (21-9 and 21-8). They will play Team PE for seventh place (August 13). The women lost to Team MB in straight sets (21-19 and 21-13). They will play against NS for seventh place (August 13).
- BOX LACROSSE (F): Team Sask played for seventh place on the last day of competition. They were down 5-1 going into the last period against Team NB. They made a comeback, in the third, but couldn’t come up with the win. Team NB took the win, 5-3. That concludes competition for box lacrosse.
- MOUNTAIN BIKE: Oskar Stack-Michasiw finished fourth in his quarterfinal race, missing out on moving to the semifinals in the mountain bike sprint event. The finish was so close the officials had to watch a replay to determine if he would move on. This concludes mountain bike competition for the Games.
- SOCCER (M): The men’s team played Team BC for fifth place. Team BC outscored Team Sask 5-1 for the win. The men finished sixth overall. This concludes competition for the Games.
- SWIMMING, PARA SWIMMING, SPECIAL OLYMPICS: Team Sask moved from the indoor pool to the open water for a 3000m race. On the men’s side Ben Stewart placed nineth with a time of 35.42 and Rhett Smith placed 14th with a time of 37.07. On the women’s side Annabel Kolman placed eighth with a time of 41.08 and Ava Harlos placed 12th with a time of 41.25. This concludes the swim portion of the 2022 Canada Summer Games.
- TENNIS: Isabella Yan and Teah Chavez both won their matches in straight sets over NL 6-0, 6-0. Chavez and Keegan Rice played in mixed doubles winning 6-3, 6-1 over Team NL to win the tie break. They will now play NS for fifth place (August 13).
- TRIATHLON: Nata Kolesova led off Team Sask in a bid to place top three in the mixed team relay mix. They were sitting in fourth when she passed the “baton” to Kaelen Kolb who had a strong run to maintain position. The team slipped to sixth on the third leg (Molly Lakustiak), but Henry Bristol made up time on the bike and run. Team Sask crossed the line in fourth. This concludes the triathlon portion of the Games.