Skip to content

Firefighters respond to a collision with injuries, fire alarms

Latest news from the Estevan Fire Rescue Service.
Fire truck
Estevan fire crews responded to several calls over the past few days.

ESTEVAN - Estevan firefighters helped with the response to a collision and responded to fire alarms.

On Jan. 24, at about 12.30 p.m., fire crews were called to a motor vehicle collision at the intersection of Thirteenth Avenue and Eighth Street.

“When we did arrive on scene, we found that there were injured drivers while fluids leaking with airbag deployment on both vehicles,” said Estevan Fire Chief Dale Feser.

“Crews assisted with traffic control, assisted with patient care, and then mitigated and isolated the leaks from both vehicles and vehicles to avoid any other accidental deployment of airbag systems.”

EMS transported one driver to hospital via ground ambulance for further assessments of injuries. The other driver was treated and released on scene. The vehicles sustained significant damage, and fire crews assisted the towing company. Then the scene was turned back over to the Estevan Police Service to continue to investigate the cause of the collision.

The next call for service came in at about 9 p.m. on Jan. 25. Firefighters were alerted by a commercial fire alarm that was going off in a multi-apartment building in northeast Estevan.

“Crews arrived on scene to find that it was a four-story condominium complex, however, the fire alarm system was still intact and there was a local smoke alarm in one suite itself that was going off. So we continued to investigate to find that the cause of the alarm was cooking-related but isolated to that suite alone. We assisted the tenants in resetting the smoke alarm system for their suite,” Feser said.

On Jan. 26 at about 5:30 a.m., another commercial fire alarm went off in the northeast area of the city. Once crews arrived on scene, they found fire alarm system was indicating that a sprinkler system was active.

“Upon investigation with the maintenance staff, we found that an exterior sprinkler head had burst likely due to the cold weather. There were no emergency situations that were occurring. We assisted with isolating branch lines to the system and turned the scene back over to the maintenance staff to repair the sprinkler head and return the system back to normal,” Feser said.