Skip to content

A week of variety for Estevan Police Service

Missing teenagers, stolen trucks, impaired drivers, a skateboarding accident, and the usual assortment of fights were all items on the Estevan Police Service (EPS) call sheets in the past seven days.

Missing teenagers, stolen trucks, impaired drivers, a skateboarding accident, and the usual assortment of fights were all items on the Estevan Police Service (EPS) call sheets in the past seven days.

One person who had been involved in a bar battle informed police he wasn't about to lay charges against his fellow combatant because, he quite frankly admitted, he deserved the beating he apparently took. That allowed EPS members to at least clear that item from their investigation list.

The policing activity reports began with a Sept. 14 call regarding a truck that had been stolen shortly after midnight on Sept. 13.

The report indicated that two people were given a ride in their own vehicle to an Estevan destination. The vehicle was parked but when they came back to the parking area, the truck was gone. The matter remains under investigation.

A vehicle check on the city's north side on the night of Sept. 16 resulted in the arrest of an intoxicated driver who had been operating an unregistered vehicle. The 24-year-old Biggar, Sask. man was charged with operating an unregistered vehicle and was issued a 24-hour driver's licence suspension.

On the night of Sept. 17, police received a call from the father of a young male who was missing and believed to be in a state of anxiety.

EPS members located the young man and discerned that his frame of mind did not require further policing or intervention activity and the subject spent the evening with his grandparents.

A call to an apartment culminated with a warning being issued to the resident regarding the local noise bylaw.

An incident between two girls that was feared to be escalating prompted a call to police on the night of Sept. 17. The incident was defused when one of the girls agreed to go home.

The next call that evening came from a local hotel. The caller advised police that a truck had been stolen from the hotel parking lot. A short time later EPS members received a call that a truck matching the description of the stolen vehicle had been seen in a ditch two miles west of Carnduff. The licence plate numbers matched and members of the Carnduff detachment of the RCMP were dispatched to the scene to help recover the vehicle.

This incident remains under investigation.

While out on patrol, members of the EPS broke up what appeared to be the start of a fight outside a local lounge. One of the combatants was sent home with his parents after receiving a few stitches in the head and suffering from a headache.

On Sept. 18, police and emergency medical personnel were dispatched to the local skate park after they received a call regarding an unconscious male. The victim apparently had been performing a trick on his skateboard when he fell and hit the back of his head on the cement. The young rider was transported to hospital for further treatment and observation.

Another call on Sept. 18, came from a local restaurant where the caller reported that a fight was in progress in the parking lot.

When police arrived, they discovered two young males involved in the altercation. Police learned through their review of the incident that the disagreement stemmed from the start of the new school term.

The matter was mediated with the boys and with the parents in attendance.

Another call on Sept. 18 involved a car being egged by vandals. This matter remains under investigation.

That same night, police charged a man for impaired driving and driving while his blood-alcohol level was over .08 per cent. He was also charged for dangerous driving.
Reports gathered by the police indicated the driver had turned left off King Street on to 13th Avenue, heading south. He accelerated hard, causing him to lose control of the vehicle which then fishtailed before going over the boulevard and striking a floral planter as well as a pedestrian with a number of other pedestrians having to scramble to avoid injury.

The person who was struck by the vehicle escaped with only minor elbow injuries while the driver was taken into custody by police and charged.

On Sept. 18, police were called to a local lounge in response to a call about a fight in progress. One of the combatants had left the scene while the second was located by police. The second fighter informed police he did not wish to lay charges since he said he deserved the punches he had absorbed.

On Sept. 19, police were called to attend a local residence to help remove an unwanted guest. The person had departed prior to police arrival.

EPS members also responded to an alarm sounding at a local gas bar on the night of Sept. 19. An inspection was made of the premises before it was decided that the alarm had sounded inadvertently and no further action was required.

On Sept. 20, police received a call about a missing youth who had apparently been gone since Sept. 17. The subject was located by EPS members and no foul play was involved so the matter was concluded.

A female who was reported to be in distress was transported to hospital by EPS members on Sept. 20 and the matter was concluded from a policing perspective.
On the night of Sept. 20, police responded to a call regarding a theft that was in progress at a local restaurant.

Multiple suspects fled the scene on foot but police arrested a 25-year-old Hamilton, Ont. resident in the area and tracked another 23-year-old man to his residence.

The people arrested were charged with theft of goods or cash valued at under $5,000 and for breaching conditions of a court order. One man will be appearing in court in October.

A report of a suspicious man circulating in a local industrial area, was looked into by police who arrested a 27-year-old Piapot resident who was charged with being intoxicated in public. Orders under the Mental Health Act were also imposed for the man's own safety and the pending charges were dropped.

A vehicle doing burn outs in the Hillside area of the city prompted a visit from members of the EPS on the night of Sept. 20.

A man in the vehicle had been performing the stunts following a domestic dispute. The driver had fled to his residence when he saw police approaching. He was warned about his actions and no further action was required.

push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks