Members of the Estevan Fire Rescue Service were called to a wildland fire north of the city on Thursday afternoon.
Fire Chief Dale Feser said they received the call at about 4 p.m. When crews arrived on scene, they found that the fire had started in a ditch, and was progressing towards a field.
Firefighters were able to quickly knock down the fire and prevent it from entering a field, and extinguished it without incident.
Feser said the fire appears to have been started by the careless discarding of a cigarette or something similar.
“We just want to remind the public that it is dry out there, so any time you’re having a cigarette or using any other tobacco products or smoking materials, you want to dispose of them properly in an ashtray to prevent any unnecessary fires.”
Later in the day, at approximately 9:30 p.m., fire crews were called to a commercial fire alarm at a business in downtown Estevan. The fire crews didn’t find any visible smoke or flame from the exterior of the building.
The key holder showed up to provide access, and after performing a sweep of the structure, firefighters didn’t find an emergency occurring, so the site was turned back to the property owners.
It appears a faulty heat detection device was the cause of the alarm.