ESTEVAN — The Estevan Fire Rescue Service responded to several fire and alarm calls in early September.
On Sept. 3 just before 5 p.m., fire crews were dispatched to a machinery fire south of the city on property owned by the mines. Once on scene, firefighters found that the fire had been extinguished so they just ensured everything was indeed out and then returned to the station.
Grass caught on fire northeast of Estevan on Sept. 5 at about 5 p.m. Estevan Fire Chief Rick Davies noted that it was a fairly small fire, and crews were able to contain and fully extinguish it quickly. There were no injuries and no damage to any equipment or property as a result of the fire.
A residential fire alarm went off in east Estevan on Sept. 8 just after 5 p.m. It was found to be cooking related and firefighters' assistance was not required, so crews stood down.
And on Sept. 11 at about 3:30 p.m., a carbon monoxide alarm went off in a building on the south side of the city. Firefighters didn't pick up any CO readings, and upon investigation, it was found to be a faulty detector. The building was turned back over to homeowners with a recommendation to get a new device.