LAMPMAN - As of July 1, it is required by Saskatchewan that all residential buildings have the appropriate amount of smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
Grant Palmer has been the fire chief for the Lampman Fire and Rescue Department for nine years, but has been with the detachment as a volunteer since 2005.
Not only is he the fire chief, but Palmer and his wife Raeanne are part of the EMS team.
This past March the Lampman department held an open house to encourage people to join, as they needed more volunteers. This proved to be fruitful when 16 people signed up, bringing the list of volunteers to 29.
They have an average of 24 calls in a year. This has been an average year, according to Palmer. The number includes all calls for structural and field fires, along with motor vehicle collisions.
At harvest time, the risk is always higher for fires. Equipment gets hot and it only takes a spark to set things off when conditions are right.
According to Palmer, during harvest it is always good practice to have a non-expired fire extinguisher in each piece of equipment. Having a disc ready to work fields is also a terrific way to help if a fire were to happen, along with a water tank or water source of some sort.
The Lampman Fire Department has a group on What’s App which has all the local farmers added. In case a large fire or an out-of-control fire occurs, one quick message is sent to alert the local farmers and they spring into action to help.
This proved to be helpful when a stubble fire took place at the beginning of September. It was quickly controlled with the quick action of the department and local farmers.
Within your home, Palmer said it is important to have the required smoke alarms, with one in each bedroom, one in the hall and on every level of the home.
He asks that people check the expiry dates on them and replace the batteries.
Make sure an escape plan is in place, and do a fire drill with the family, specially if young children are involved. Question them on the route and make sure they understand, and they know the sounds of the alarms.
Have a carbon monoxide detector plugged in as low as possible. Carbon monoxide starts at the floor level and then travels up.
Keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen, basement and garage. Make sure it is up to date as well.
If you have young children, keep lighters, barbecue lighters and matches out of reach, and do not leave candles unattended when lit.
Lampman Fire and Rescue covers the R.M. of Browning, Lampman and part of the R.M. of Benson.
For those that are hearing impaired, smoke alarms with a visual or vibration-based signal are also available.