Skip to content

Regina anti-mandate convoy removed from Legislature on Sunday

The line of vehicles protesting provincial health mandates at Regina's Legislative grounds was removed Sunday night
regina convoy 6
Those gathered were calling for the immediate removal of all COVID-19 public health mandates, with the intention of occupying the Legislature grounds until government acquiesced.

REGINA — The convoy of parked vehicles outside the Legislative Assembly in Regina has already left, after a blitz of ticketing from the Regina Police Service on Sunday evening.

Regina police issued a statement on Monday detailing the involvement of officers in the event, which was a public display opposing COVID-19 mandates in Saskatchewan and Canada.

Protesters gathered at the intersection of Albert Street and Legislative Drive Saturday morning, lining the sidewalks with signage and engaging with passing traffic. Upon arrival late Saturday afternoon, a number of vehicles parked along the outside driving lanes of Albert Street, as concrete barriers blocked road access to the front of the Legislature. 

Police members were present on Albert Street on Feb. 5-6 to ensure public safety during the demonstration, and to keep the peace between those gathered and the public, said the written statement from the RPS.

Some of the parked vehicles were ticked on Saturday night, according to reports, and officers undertook a larger action on Sunday evening to address the situation.

“Although the Canadian Constitution upholds the rights of individuals to lawfully protest, police members observed unlawful violations, and demonstrators were informed and ticketed,” said the RPS.

A total of 30 parking tickets and two Traffic Safety Act tickets were issued to the convoy, and one vehicle was towed. No arrests were reportedly made.

On Sunday afternoon at approximately 4 p.m., around 35 vehicles remained parked in the outside northbound driving lane of Albert Street. 

The lineup at that time included around a dozen semi trucks, a flat deck trailer carrying porta potties and a pull-behind camper that was set up with it's awning out. Protesters were still present with signs, alongside loud music and honking from vehicles.

Regina police said the dissolution of the convoy was completed by midnight on Sunday, meaning the vehicles were parked in their position for approximately 33 hours.

“Despite complaints of noise, the demonstration was peaceful in nature,” said the RPS. “Police efforts and discussion with members of the protest group led to the successful departure of the vehicles.”

The convoy said it's goal was to occupy the Legislative building’s grounds until the provincial government lifted all current public health orders, including proof of vaccination mandates.