Skip to content

Estevan Bruins trounce Weyburn Red Wings once again

Game was delayed by 30 minutes due to hit from behind on Bruin player
Estevan Bruins Weyburn Red Wings Nov 12
The Estevan Bruins faced the Weyburn Red Wings Friday night at Affinity Place.

ESTEVAN - In a season filled with dominant victories over division rivals, Friday night’s win for the Estevan Bruins over the Weyburn Red Wings might have been the most convincing yet.

The Bruins routed the Weyburn Red Wings 8-0 at Affinity Place. Estevan outshot Weyburn 58-17 on the night, and had at least 17 shots on goal in each period.

Prescot Senger opened the scoring midway through the first period for the only goal of the opening frame, although the Bruins had several chances to add to the lead.

The floodgates opened in the second. Mark Rumsey scored 80 seconds into the middle frame, and then Mikol Sartor, Rumsey and Eric Pearce scored to give the Bruins a 5-0 lead. Weyburn had a few opportunities to score between Rumsey’s first goal and Sartor’s tally, but Boston Bilous kept the Wings at bay.

Estevan has scored four goals in a period in all three meetings with Weyburn this year.

It appeared the Bruins had another goal late in the middle frame, but the referees ruled the puck didn’t enter the net.  

Caelan Fitzpatrick scored twice in the third, and Keagon Little added a goal 71 seconds after Fitzpatrick’s second tally to round out the scoring.

Bilous stopped all 17 shots he faced. Jackson Fellner made 50 saves for Weyburn.

The two teams will meet again Saturday night in Weyburn.  

The game was delayed by about 30 minutes in the second period, after Bruins forward Zachery Burns was checked from behind into the boards by Weyburn defenceman Nick Dobson. Dobson was assessed a five-minute major for checking from behind and a game misconduct.

The Bruins said Burns had to be stabilized by doctors and EMTs, and was carried off the ice on a stretcher. He was taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital, checked and released later in the night.

The Bruins said Burns suffered a concussion and other injuries and will miss time.

“However, we feel fortunate that the result was not worse and the Bruins sincerely appreciate all the concern and well wishes sent to us since the incident,” the Bruins said in a news release.

The Bruins thanked their team trainer and doctor, Weyburn’s trainer, Dr. Ryan Cormier and his fellow staff on hand, the local EMTs, volunteers and the staff at St. Joseph’s Hospital for the rapid response and safe treatment of Burns following the hit.

Burns was playing his first game for the Bruins. He was acquired from the Drumheller Dragons of the Alberta Junior Hockey League (AJHL) earlier in the week. 

push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks