SASKATOON - The Estevan TaeKwon-Do Club attended an inter-provincial tournament in Saskatoon earlier this month.
Nineteen members attended, including 15 competitors and four instructors. The tournament consisted of teams from around Saskatchewan and Alberta.
It involved competitions in both sparring and patterns. There were several senior black belts and masters in attendance.
The calibre of competition was excellent, the club said in a press release, allowing Estevan athletes to display the skills they have been learning. The Estevan TaeKwon-Do team took home a total of 15 medals. The results of the medal winners are listed below:
- Girls green stripe: Elaina Sliva, gold in patterns and silver in sparring, and Ella Brown, bronze in sparring;
- Boys yellow belt division: Theodore Burlasa, silver in patterns;
- Boys green belt division: Nathan Burlasa, gold in patterns and sparring, and Luke Sliva, silver in sparring;
- Boys green belt blue stripe: Logan Morrisette, silver in patterns, and Kyle Lubreo, gold in sparring;
- Men’s green belt: Rey Lubreo, gold in patterns, and Adam Jocelyn, silver in patterns and gold in sparring;
- Ladies’ blue belt: Marina Troyo, bronze in sparring; and
- Ladies’ black belt: Tine Longney, bronze in patterns and bronze in sparring.
The Estevan TaeKwon-Do Club members who travelled to compete at this event had a strong showing and represented the club and Estevan well, the club said. The tournament in Saskatoon was the first competition they have attended since the COVID-19 pandemic hit Saskatchewan.
This was the last tournament of the season for the club. They will conduct black-belt testing on May 26, followed by coloured belt testing on May 27. Then they will resume training in early September.