Skip to content

Wings find 500 at start of season

The Weyburn Red Wings traveled the long, lonely road to Flin Flon last weekend in search of their first regular season win in the 2010-11 season.

The Weyburn Red Wings traveled the long, lonely road to Flin Flon last weekend in search of their first regular season win in the 2010-11 season. After Friday night's game it didn't look promising as the Wings showed more strength in the penalty side of the score sheet than the goal section.

The Wings amassed 43 minutes in penalties over three periods of play in Flin Flon Friday night, but battled hard to keep it a 4-2 contest in the Bombers favour.

Drew George and Colton Sanderson scored for Weyburn. George assisted on the second goal along with Brock Appleyard who garnered two assists on the evening and Sanderson picking up his second point on the evening with an assist. The penalty-riddled game took two hours and twenty minutes to finish.

Saturday's rematch saw the Weyburn club play a tighter game but still with 32 minutes in the sin-bin they managed a 4-0-road victory to make their bus ride home a bit easier on the team.

Keegan Bruce opened the scoring for Weyburn in the first period with assists going to Zane Weal and Daniel Adams. Weyburn's Sanderson was next to score with assists being awarded to Appleyard and George.

Appleyard then struck on the power play in the later part of the first period to give Weyburn a 3-0 lead to this point in the game. Assists were handed out to Ryan Whitall and Sanderson for their part in the Wings third goal.

The final goal in the contest came from Weyburn's George early in the second period with an assist to Appleyard to make it a 4-0 game.

Weyburn found itself back into penalty problems for the remainder of the game, but with strong defence and superior goaltending by Lucas Felbel they managed to keep the Bombers off the game sheet. Flin Flon out-shot the Wings 33-32 in the contest but could not figure out how to score during Saturday's game.

Wings tame Hounds

Weyburn's troubles in the penalty box didn't subside after the weekend at Flin Flon, as they continued to double their counterpart's penalty minutes wherever they traveled. Monday night's game in Wilcox saw the Wings take 30 minutes in penalties while the Hounds had 16 minutes to serve.

Wing's Whitell scored the first two goals for Weyburn, with the first coming in the early part of the second period and then at the 30-second mark of the final period. Kevin Morrison and Kevin Mann picked up assists on the scoring play. Appleyard picked up one of his two assists on the evening on the second goal.

Notre Dame's James Howden and Trevor Milner scored the two Hounds goals in the second period.

It would be Jesse Ross who would score the third and game-winning goal for Weyburn early in the third period with help from Appleyard and TJ Wees.

Weyburn's penalty-kill squad would prove to be a hot commodity again as they stonewalled the Hounds power play time after time throughout Monday nights game in Wilcox.

The Wings now prepare for a three night weekend road swing through Battlefords Friday, October 1st, Humboldt Saturday night and Sunday night in Kindersley.

Weyburn will open their home-game stand Friday, October 8th against the Estevan Bruins and Saturday night the Wings will play host to the Flin Flon Bombers. Game times will be 7:30 p.m. at Crescent Point Place.