Skip to content

Firefighters respond to elevator entrapment in Estevan

Latest news from the Estevan fire department.
Estevan Fire Rescue building
The Estevan Fire Rescue Service building.

ESTEVAN — Estevan Fire Rescue Service members responded to six calls over the past week.

On May 25 just after 5 p.m., fire crews were dispatched to an elevator rescue in a building in the southeast area of the city. Crews responded and quickly removed several occupants from an elevator. No injuries were reported from the incident, said Fire Chief Rick Davies.

"Sometimes elevators are just finicky if they're overloaded or jarred improperly, especially at this particular place. [Sometimes elevators] jam up, or go to the bottom floor and the doors won't open," Davies added.

Earlier that day at about 2:40 p.m., crews responded to a to three-vehicle collision in the north-central area of the city. Firefighters assisted the Estevan Police Service at the scene. The EPS reported two of the vehicles had to be towed.

"Although the collision was severe enough for the vehicles' airbags to be deployed, there were no reported injuries. The driver of one of the vehicles was served a violation ticket for leaving a stop sign before safe to do so under the Traffic Safety Act," the EPS said in the report.

Earlier last week, on May 20 at about 2 p.m., crews were dispatched to assist EPS with a minor spill on the west side of the city.

"A small oil container fell from a vehicle and was leaking, so crews quickly cleaned that up without incident," Davies said.

Later that day at around 7:30 p.m., firefighters responded to a residential fire alarm in south Estevan. Once on scene, they determined it was a cooking-related incident and confirmed that their assistance was not required.

Two vehicles collided north of Estevan on May 22 at around 3:30 p.m. Fire crews responded to the accident scene. There were no reports of entrapment or injuries. Crews remained on scene until everything was cleaned up.

On May 23 just before 5 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to a residential fire alarm, again in south Estevan. They were quickly updated that the alarm was due to cooking, so crews stood down.