Skip to content

City police investigate several assaults and fraud

During the week of Jan. 20-26, the Weyburn Police Service attended to 65 calls for service. City police were called to a local business on Monday.

During the week of Jan. 20-26, the Weyburn Police Service attended to 65 calls for service.

City police were called to a local business on Monday. Police were able to determine that the victim, a 17-year-old female youth had been assaulted by a 17-year-old female youth. The victim was taken to the local hospital on her own. The victim declined to provide the information necessary to make an arrest or lay a charge. No further action was taken.

The Weyburn Police Service conducted a traffic stop on Sunday around 4 a.m. in regards to driving actions being observed. As a result a 40-year-old local male was charged with driving while over .08 and impaired driving, and will be making a court appearance.

The Weyburn Police Service began an investigation into a sexual assault after receiving a report on Jan. 20 that during the evening hours, a 26-year-old female was assaulted by a 30-year-old male. The male was known to the victim and the investigation is ongoing.

On Jan. 22, Weyburn police members attended to a southeast residence after receiving numerous 911 calls from a female occupant indicating an assault was taking place. Police members attended and found the occupants of the house arguing. While separating the individuals the 22-year-old female assaulted a city police member. The member did not suffer any injuries. The female was arrested for assault on a police officer. The accused was transported to cells and released when sober with a court date in February.

The city police received a complaint on Jan. 23 regarding a fraud after a victim had made contact through the Internet with a male regarding the availability of Winnipeg Jets tickets. The victim had a feeling the offer was not what originally was stated and decided to contact the Winnipeg Jets head office where it was determined it was a scam.The victim did not supply any money to the individual and police continue to investigate.

The police attended to the parking lot of the Weyburn Hospital on Jan. 24 after receiving a call of a hit-and-run where a delivery truck had hit a parked car and then driven away. Police were able to locate the delivery vehicle and driver and determined that the individual was not aware they had hit a vehicle. No charges were laid.

Police were dispatched to a report of a suspicious vehicle on Jan. 24 that had been parked on a perimeter road for some time. A patrol was made and the vehicle located. No criminality was involved but the occupant did have an extensive criminal record.

On Jan. 26 at about 3 a.m., the police responded to a local business to deal with a group of allegedly assaultive males. The police attended and were able to determine that although some words were exchanged no physical altercation occurred. No further action was taken or required.

Police were called to a domestic situation at a residence on Jan. 26. The couple were in the process of splitting up when a disagreement erupted over property rights. The police were able to successfully mediate this matter without further formal involvement.

If anyone has any information on an incident that has been reported in this week's news release or any other serious crime, please contact the Weyburn Police Service or call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).