On May 12, 2021 at 4:40 p.m., Hudson Bay RCMP attended a residence in the Leason Trailer Court in an attempt to locate an individual on outstanding warrants.
That individual was located in an outbuilding on that property and was taken into custody. Officers heard a bang and observed smoke coming from that outbuilding. Upon opening the door, they realized there were gas and propane tanks inside. One was open and emitting fumes into the air. Officers extinguished the fire and removed the tanks from the building. No one was injured.
As a result of this incident, Matthew Barker (DOB: 1990-11-30) of Hudson Bay, SK, has been charged with:
· 1 count, Arson – Disregard for Human Life, Section 433, Criminal Code
· 1 count, Assault Peace Officer with a Weapon, Section 270.01(1), Criminal Code
· 1 count, Unsafe Storage of a Firearm, Section 86(2), Criminal Code
· 1 count, Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm, Section 92(3)(a), Criminal Code
· 1 count, Possess Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose, Section 88(2), Criminal Code
· 4 counts, Fail to Comply with a Release Order, Section 145(5)(a), Criminal Code
· 3 counts, Possess Weapon Contrary to Order, Section 117,01(3), Criminal Code
Barker was also arrested on outstanding warrants from the Manitoba RCMP. He will next appear in court on May 20, 2021.