Skip to content

Update: Saskatoon – Occupant safe in Avenue R South fire

A notice of closure was posted on the property

SASKATOON — The Fire Investigator was able to confirm that the occupant from the fire that occurred on Dec. 31, Friday, New Year's Eve has been located.

Our unaccounted occupant in the 400 Block of Avenue R South fire is safe, not injured, and was rehoused.



A fire broke out in one of the residences in the 400 Block of Avenue R South, one of the 36 incidents reported during a 14-hour night shift by Saskatoon Fire Department personnel.

Saskatoon Police Service officers, who were doing their routine patrol, reported the structure fire at 9:21 p.m. on Friday and immediately informed SFD Communications Centre.

The crew of the first arriving engine that was dispatched saw the structure was completely involved in the fire. Additional fire crews that arrived on the scene were given tactical duties.

Three fire engines, one ladder truck, and one rescue unit were initially dispatched to the scene along with the Battalion Chief and a Fire Investigator. SaskEnergy and Saskatoon Light and Power were also notified to disconnect their services for safety precautions.

A safety officer was assigned to assess the incident where fire crews attacked the fire outside as entry into the structure was limited and the conditions were unsafe due to the amount of fire and smoke.

Other firefighters were assigned to keep an eye and help protect the nearby houses as the fire was at risk of spreading to other structures.

Some off-duty fire crews were called in to help operate fire engines that were on standby as the SFD made sure all adequate resources were used and maintained. SFD’s maintenance vehicles were also on the scene to switch out equipment during this incident.  

Throughout the duration of the fire, 10 additional fire crews worked in rotation to avoid long exposure to the extreme cold and provide relief.

SFD was thankful for the help provided by SPS, paramedics, and crews from SaskEnergy, Saskatoon Light and Power, and the City of Saskatoon.

Trucks from the City also assisted by spreading sand on the streets and sidewalks surrounding the fire scene due to icy conditions caused by the water used in putting out the fire. SPS helped with traffic control and the ambulance service were on standby.

Crews on the scene, at around 3:19 a.m., had to use an excavator to take down a portion of the structure involved in the fire. It was learned that a wall was at risk of collapsing due to loss of structural strength as fire had already consumed its components coupled by the weight of the freezing water.

With a portion of the house taken down, firefighters managed to attack an area of the fire that initially could not be accessed from the exterior. No injuries to responding firefighters were reported and all crews left the scene before 8 a.m. on Saturday, Jan. 1.

SFD posted a notice of closure on the property and also fenced off the area around the structure. The estimated damage is initially set at $150,000 and the Fire Investigator will also issue an order to remedy as a guarantee that the structure’s complete demolition happens.