Skip to content

Saskatoon - House catches fire during extreme cold

The call was received at 2:55 a.m.

SASKATOON —  A bungalow in the 200 block of Avenue L South caught fire early Wednesday morning, prompting the Saskatoon Fire Department to respond. Estimated damage to the small structure is $150,000.

The SFD Communications Centre received the report of the fire at 2:55 a.m. with first arriving fire engine and crew seeing smoke and flames showing from the residential structure.

Incoming fire crews were given their tactical assignments, beginning with a quick exterior extinguishment of the fire.

Utility services were shut down and a firefighter was assigned as the safety officer on the scene. Once the flames were knocked down then crews advanced inside.

Fire crews worked in rotation through the fire scene during the entire incident due extreme cold weather with a base temperature of -34 C, which felt -43.

It was learned that two occupants were at home at the time of the fire and were reported to have evacuated without injury.

The occupants, however, had already left the scene prior to the arrival of the fire crews. It is also unknown at this time if smoke alarms were in place and working.

A Fire Investigator was also dispatched to the scene and an update will be provided once investigation is completed.