ESTEVAN — Estevan fire crews responded to a potential structure fire and carbon monoxide alarm.
The first call for service came in on Aug. 31 just after midnight. The possible structure fire was reported to be occurring in the north-central area of the city. Crews responded and, upon arrival, found some smoke, however, the source wasn't clear. They continued to investigate and soon discovered a smouldering fire pit in one of the backyards in the area.
"Fortunately, it turned out to not be a structure fire. Crews made sure that the fire pit was properly extinguished, and everything was good after that," said Estevan Fire Chief Rick Davies.
Just 24 hours later, another call for service came into the station. On Sept. 1 shortly after midnight, crews were called to a CO alarm going off in a residence in north-central Estevan. The firefighters' device picked up mid-level readings of CO. SaskEnergy specialists were called to the scene. Everyone had safely evacuated the building and didn't report any symptoms of CO poisoning.
Fire crews remained on scene until they had the structure properly ventilated, and then it was turned back over to the homeowners for them and SaskEnergy to further investigate the issue.
Davies reminded the public that starting July 1, according to the Building Code Regulations, CO alarms and smoke alarms, or combination CO-smoke alarms, have to be installed in all residential buildings in Saskatchewan, regardless of the date the building was constructed.
He also wished the community a safe long weekend.
"Anyone working in the field, stay safe. Anyone travelling – safe travels. Harvest should be pretty much into full swing here, so everyone be on alert in the fields and watch for traffic," Davies said.