Concern for Youth was before North Battleford city council Feb. 28 to seek more money for its organization.
They are seeking funds from the City to supplement the funding currently in place from the Ministry of Social Services to pay for full time and casual relief workers and also go towards non-salary expenses.
Selina Delimini and Shauna Welter of Concern for Youth made the presentation before council and said funding was needed to meet the objectives of Concern for Youth as a voice for youth in the community. They said the program had grown to include two outreach workers as well as casual relief workers. As well the number of client referrals has gone up from 319 in 2009 to 684 in 2010, and the number of clients referred to other agencies grew from 128 to 236.
The Ministry of Social Services is funding 60 per cent of the co-ordinator position as well as 80 per cent for the outreach workers, so they need to make up the shortfall, they said.
The total expenditures for the organization amounted to $173,610.00, with $116,060.00 approved by the Ministry of Social Services and the rest needing to be made up.
During the presentation, Welter noted an agreement had been struck some time ago with the City regarding their share of the cost. In that agreement Social Services would fund 70 per cent of the cost, with the Town responsible for 10 per cent and the City responsible for 20 per cent.
Councillor Ron Crush commended Concern for Youth for its work in the community and said he has noticed them often throughout the community, saying the program has value.
While council received the presentation with enthusiasm, there were no final decisions made at Monday's council meeting on the funding request. Those are likely to be decided at a later time.