Skip to content

Lengthy vehicle chase ends with several charges

A police chase that took Estevan Police Service (EPS) members and their counterparts in other communities to the outskirts of Weyburn on the night of June 21, culminated in a court room for an Estevan man.

A police chase that took Estevan Police Service (EPS) members and their counterparts in other communities to the outskirts of Weyburn on the night of June 21, culminated in a court room for an Estevan man.

The incident began when the 21-year-old Estevanite was observed leaving from the parking lot of a downtown restaurant and failing to stop when signalled to do so by police.

The ensuing vehicle pursuit ended at Government Road and Highway 35 junction at Weyburn when the subject left the stolen vehicle and fled on foot with police on his trail.

EPS members noted that personnel from the Fillmore detachment of the RCMP assisted them by throwing out a spike belt on Highway 39 at the entrance to Nickel Lake, about five miles southeast of Weyburn. One of the tires on the stolen vehicle was flattened as a result of this action, which reduced the speed of the chase.
EPS members were also assisted by Weyburn Police Service following the apprehension of the suspect. The Weyburn members administered breathalyzer tests on the accused.

Police said there was moderate damage to the stolen vehicle after the accused ran through two barricades, finally striking and dragging some waterflood piping to the brink of a flood zone.

The man was charged with theft of a motor vehicle, impaired driving, dangerous driving and flight from police.

He was remanded in custody until his first court appearance June 23.

In other June 21 activity, EPS members arrested a 16-year-old young offender for being in breach of a recognizance. He had been arrested the night before and charged for a similar offence and then released.

That same night, two men were charged under the local bylaw for fighting following a fracas at a local lounge.

An altercation at the beer gardens during the Estevan Fair also attracted police attention. Police arrested a 20-year-old man and retained him in custody until he was sober.

On the night of June 24 police were called to a domestic disturbance in the Pleasantdale area where they arrested a man and lodged him in cells overnight after giving him an August court date.

A report of a vehicle racing down the street in the central part of the city attracted police attention on the night of June 24. EPS members located the vehicle and the owner/operator was unco-operative so he was charged with stunting.

On that same evening, police issued several tickets to individuals under the Alcohol and Gaming Regulations Act. The charges included such things as minors consuming alcohol, open liquor in public and being intoxicated in a public place. A number of vehicle checks were made that night and some impaired driving charges were laid along with a few 24-hour driving suspensions.

During the afternoon of June 25, two men were arrested after they were noticed by police as they stumbled along Fourth Street in an extremely intoxicated state. The two men even stumbled into traffic so they were charged for public intoxication and were released when they regained sobriety.

A disturbance at the north end of the city during the afternoon attracted police attention. The matter was resolved when the responsible party was sent home with his father and no further action was required.

On the night of June 25, an Estevan youth was checked for impaired driving. During the examination it was learned he had been drinking earlier in the evening. He was given a 30-day driving suspension and released.

Police were next called to a domestic disturbance on the north side of the city. Both parties were intoxicated, but one had decided to leave the area on their own so no charges were laid by police.

A vehicle that was being operated in an erratic fashion on the night of June 25 was checked by police after it was noted going through a parking lot. When police stopped the vehicle, the driver fled on foot so the vehicle was seized and the matter remains under investigation.

On the night of June 26, EPS members responded to several calls regarding domestic disturbances in various areas of the city. In some instances charges are pending.

A report of a five-year-old boy who was missing from his home on the south side of the city drew a police response. The youngster was located by family a short time later and he was unharmed. It was learned that the young boy had gone with friends to another location without informing his parents.

A domestic disturbance at a local mobile home court on the night of June 27 was resolved with police assistance and no further action was required.

A complaint of a noisy party in the Pleasantdale area of the city required police attention. EPS members assisted the resident's owner in removing the party goers. It was learned that several young people had gathered at the residence, expecting to party. A warning was issued to both the property owner and party host.

Police also responded to a report of a suspicious vehicle in the Pleasantdale area. The vehicle was located and the proper checks were made with no violations or illegal activities noted so no further action was required.

push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks